Back to School
Now that school is back in full swing, we thought we’d share some tips and tricks to ensure your little one’s spines are well protected!
Sitting, sitting, and more sitting is what most of your children’s days consist of when in school. To reduce the chance of them experiencing back, neck or shoulder pain, it is important to remind them of these three things:
- It is okay to stretch in the seats they are in all day long! They can stretch their arms in the air and try to touch the ceiling or to the sides and even behind them. They can also let their head fall back or go from side to side while taking some deep breaths. Doing this can help decompress the spine.
- Teach them to always try to keep their books and electronics at eye levels (if possible) so that their neck is not bent down for long periods, putting unnecessary strain on those muscles and vertebrae.
- The best way to sit at a school desk or table is to have the feet flat against the ground with their backs flat against the chair, this keeps slouching/bad posture to a minimum, which can be a determining factor in how much back pain one experiences.
Next, it’s all about the backpacks! We know most kids always want the trendiest, newest, most awesome backpack to show off to their friends and we want that for them too. But there are a couple of things to keep in mind when choosing and wearing that bag.
- Look for bags with ergonomic straps that are padded and wide, along with extra padding within the lower back area.
- How you pack the bag is just as important. Don’t let the weight exceed 10-15% of your child’s weight and place the heaviest items closest to the body with the odd shaped and lightest objects more toward the front.
- Lastly, make sure kids are using both straps when wearing the pack as well as having it snug against their back. Do not let the bottom of the bag go lower than your child’s buttocks.
Back to school can also mean exposure to lots of things. Therefore, it’s especially important that your children’s body systems are all working at their finest. Children have spines too and benefit greatly from Chiropractic care. Make sure they are both happy and healthy!
Contact us today to get your children started so they can have the best school year yet 😊